A concealer, which is also known as a color corrector is a cosmetic product that is used to cover dark circles, blemishes on the face and age spots. It is similar to the foundation but is thicker and uses different pigments to hide the marks by blending the imperfections with the skin complexion. Concealers are available in different forms, varying from liquid to cream to powder. Concealers are available in a variety of shades, all being skin complexion colors. Concealers with a yellow undertone are used to hide dark circles, whereas, concealers with green and blue undertones are used to cover up red marks caused due to acne, pimple or broken veins. A purple tinted concealer is used to make complexions look brighter. In this article, we will explore different aspects of best concealer.
Top 10 Over the Counter Best concealer
- Nars – Radiant Concealer
This concealer helps in hydrating the skin while creating a softer and smoother complexion, obscuring the imperfections and diminishing the fine lines and dark circles. It can be used for long-wearing and is also crease proof. This product is alcohol, paraben, and synthetic fragrance-free. This is available in 15 shades to cover most skin tones.
- MAC – Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer
This product acts as an all-rounder from covering blemishes, providing opaque coverage, SPF 35 protection and particles that absorb oils from the skin. This concealer is rich in antioxidants that help feed the skin with derivatives of Vitamin A and Vitamin D. It is also emollient-based, water resistant, non-acnegenic and fragrance-free. It is available in 23 shades.
- Amazing Cosmetics – Amazing Concealer
Having the perfect formula for hiding those Monday morning eye bags, this product is ultra-pigmented, waterproof and is loaded with anti-oxidants that help one have healthy skin. There is also cucumber extract in it. The Amazing Concealer is breathable, has long-wear coverage and seamlessly blends into the skin. There are 16 shades ranging from Ivory to Warm Deep.
- Maybelline – New York Instant Age Rewind Concealer
Following its title, this concealer does a very good job in hiding dark circles and it smoothly evens out the blemishes. This comes with a unique sponge micro-corrector applicator which helps to blend the high concentration product and evenly spreads it on the skin. Once applied, the eye area looks refreshed and radiant almost instantly.
- Bobbi Brown – Undereye Corrector
This concealer has a waterproof, sweat and humidity resistant formula with a creamy smooth texture for complete under eye coverage that is easy to blend which will not crease. This is available in 16 different shades and also infused with skin conditioners.
- Estee Lauder – Double Wear Stay-In-Place
This product seems to be perfect for those with aging or dry skin. This concealer lasts and stays seamless for 15 hours. The applicator style is called a precision wand and the formula is oil-free, dermatologically tested, non-acne-genic and is fragrance-free. This is available in 11 shades ranging from Extra Light to Ultra Deep.
- Lancome – Effacernes Waterproof Protective Undereye Concealer
This concealer is waterproof, heat and humidity resistant, crease resistant and lasts a whole day. On application, it instantly eliminates all signs of stress and fatigue because of its ability to hide and blend all of those stubborn dark circles and eye bags and gives a soft matte finish to the skin. This product is available in 13 shades to suit different complexions and provide a smooth look.
- Yves Saint Laurent – Touche Eclat Radiance Perfecting Pen.
This is a highlighter type of concealer that acts like a magic wand which allows the user to smoothly glide the product on the areas under the eye, reaching the intricate corners of the eye. It blends in so well with the complexion that it shows that the user has had 8 hours worth of beauty sleep. This product is perfect for all skin types, including dry and oily and gives a luminous and natural finish.
- Charlotte Tilbury – The Retoucher Conceal and Treat Stick
This is a breakthrough concealer that makes sure that the spots and marks once hidden, stay hidden. While hiding the imperfections on the skin, it also treats it with a hydrating complex which is rich in vitamins. A smooth and seamless surface is acquired on its application as it fills in the hollowed out skin grooves. This is available in 10 shades, which comfortably accommodates women with varying skin complexions.
- Dior – Fix It 2-in-1 Prime and Conceal
This concealer comes along with a primer which can be used comfortably for a high definition complexion, brighter and healthier eyes and for the lips. It is one stick with 2 textures wherein the transparent core helps to fill in fine lines and makes pores smooth and the colored outer ring conceals dark circles and blemishes. There are 6 shades of this product.
10 Home remedies
The following remedies are not for any specific complexion. If a darker shade is required, the user has to simply add more powder or pigment depending on the remedy one chooses to use.
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Shea Butter
- Zinc Oxide
- Mix equal parts of all ingredients in a bowl, until combined.
- A cream base mixture will be formed.
- Transfer this into a pot and preserve it.
For a darker shade, use 1 tablespoon and for fairer shade, use 1 teaspoon of the following.
- Cocoa powder/Cinnamon Powder/Nutmeg(subject to skin tone)
- Arrowroot powder.
- Mix the powders together until nicely combined.
- Arrowroot acts as the powder base.
- If one chooses for a cream base, an equal part of jojoba oil or coconut oil can be added.
- Skin and eye-safe mica (color is subject to desired skin complexion)
- Face cream.
- Blend the mica smoothly till it becomes a fine powder.
- Mix it well with equal parts of face cream. The mixing should be really well to avoid lumps in the mixture.
- Preserve this mixture in an airtight pot for future use.
- Blush (According to the skin tone)
- Take some moisturizer in a bowl.
- Slowly add blush into it. First, add a little and mix to check the resultant shade.
- Then keep adding small amounts of blush and mix it well till the desired shade is achieved.
- For darker complexions, use bronze or baize whereas for fairer complexions, use pink, pearl or peach.
- 2 teaspoons Argan Oil
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
- ½ teaspoon emulsifying wax
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon witch hazel
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon non-nano zinc oxide
- Place the shea butter, wax and argan oil in a bowl.
- Keep this bowl in a double boiler and allow all the ingredients to melt completely.
- Add the aloe vera gel and witch hazel to this melted mixture.
- Mix these in, using a whisk, until it is fully incorporated and with a smooth texture.
- Take the bowl out of the heat and add zinc oxide.
- Add a pinch of cocoa powder and mix well till the color is blended well. Keep adding a pinch till the desired color is acquired.
- Pour the mixture into the desired container.
- 4 teaspoons liquid foundation shade which is darker than the desired shade of concealer
- The skin-safe colored powder which is a shade lighter than the desired shade of concealer.
- 1 teaspoon thick lightweight moisturizer (not lotion)
- Take the moisturizer on a plate.
- Add the foundation to this and mix it well with the tip of a spoon.
- Add the loose powder slowly into this mixture and once the desired texture is achieved, mix it well. If the texture is either too loose or too tight, a bit of powder or a drop of foundation, respectively, can be added to rectify it.
- Pour this mixture into the container for future use.
- 2 teaspoons non-comedogenic moisturizer
- 2 teaspoons loose powder of the same shade of color as the complexion of the consumer.
- Mix the powder into the moisturizer.
- If powder of the exact shade is unavailable, mix parts of lighter and darker shades until the desired color is achieved, or use a tinted moisturizer of the same shade as the complexion.
- 3 drops of Rosehip Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Cocoa Butter
- Skin safe creamy pigment that matches the skin tone.
- Take the cocoa butter and rosehip oil and mix it well till the oil is completed incorporated into the butter.
- Add a drop of the pigment into the mix and stir well.
- Continue to add a drop of the pigment and stirring till the desired shade of concealer is acquired.
- Put this mixture into an air-tight container.
- 1 tablespoon petroleum jelly
- Pressed powder or powder found in a compact.
- Take pressed powder and crushed it completely.
- Add enough crushed powder into the petroleum jelly, so that the right shade is achieved.
- Place it in the desired container.
Multani Mitti Clay
- 4g Beeswax
- 7g Cupuacu butter
- 5g Cocoa butter
- 4g Sea Buckthorn oil
- 4g rosehip oil
- 1g Vitamin E oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoon oil-soluble titanium dioxide
- ½ teaspoon sericite mica
- 1 teaspoon zeolite ultrafine clay
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Multani mitti clay
- 1 teaspoon yellow Iron oxide
- ¼ teaspoon red iron oxide
- 1/8th teaspoon brown iron oxide
- Pinch of green Chromium oxide
- Place the beeswax, cupuacu butter, cocoa butter, sea buckthorn oil, vitamin E oil and rosehip oil in a saucepan and melt them together.
- Take it off the heat.
- Whisk in the titanium oxide, along with sericite mica, zeolite ultrafine clay, and Multani mitti clay.
- Add the red, brown and yellow iron oxides to the mixture and whisk it well after which it should be blended. If this ratio of iron oxides does not suit the user, one can add and deduct some and get their color through trial and error.
- For a red canceling concealer, add a pinch of green chromium oxide.
- Since this recipe makes a big amount of concealer, it is advised to divide the mixture into 4 airtight containers for easier usage.
Concealers are most useful for the following reasons.
- Hide dark spots
- Hide signs of aging
- Cover pimples, scars, and birthmarks
- Provide moisture to the skin
- Make skin smooth
- Protect skin from the sun
- Before applying any concealer, sanitize the applicator properly to avoid any contact of germs with the skin.
- Always use a spatula or any other tool to transfer loose powder. Never use the hands.
- Make sure that none of the ingredients, in the chosen concealer have any allergic reaction to the skin.
- Remove the makeup from the face every night before going to bed.
- Wash the face before applying concealer and after removing it.
Myths and Facts
|Crushed powder is the same as Loose powder||This is false. Both powders have different compositions and properties that affect the final product. Crushed powder is easier to mix into the base of the concealer and it is also easier to transport as compared to loose powder. On the other hand, loose powder provides more coverage out of the concealer.|
|The concealer should be a shade lighter than the skin complexion.||Although this is the most sought-after advice, this is however untrue. A lighter shade for a concealer will make the skin under the eyes ashy and blue. According to a professional make-up artist, one should choose a shade of concealer which matches exactly with their skin tone.|
|Concealer should be thick||Concealers should not be thick; they should be fluid and lightweight. This fluidity allows for a proper coverage for the user.|