How to Use Garlic for Hair Growth (Garlic Hair Treatment)
So, how can you put garlic to work for your own hair loss? Although eating garlic in food is healthy in a variety of ways, you will want to use garlic juice or garlic oil as a topical treatment in the form of a salve in order to harness the power of garlic for hair loss and hair replenishment. Here’s how to do it:
Garlic Juice and Honey for Hair Growth
Extract the juice from a small head of garlic or about eight cloves. Do this by peeling each clove and using a garlic press to squeeze the juice from each clove.
This should yield about one tablespoon of garlic juice. Blend this juice with an equal amount of honey (which also has amazing health benefits).
Apply this salve to your scalp and hair and leave it on for 60 minutes before rinsing out. This should be done twice daily as per the above research.
Note: Pure garlic juice can be irritating to the skin when used alone, as it packs a powerful punch. For this reason, it is important to mix garlic juice with other ingredients to reduce the chances of skin irritation on the scalp.
Benefits of Garlic for Hair Growth
- Garlic has a high content of minerals like calcium, zinc, and sulfur, which are essential for hair growth.
- It is antimicrobial and helps kill germs and bacteria that can cause damage to the scalp and inhibit hair growth.
- The selenium content in garlic helps stimulate blood circulation for maximum nourishment.
- It helps purify the hair follicles, strengthen them, and prevent clogging, curbing hair loss.
- It helps calm aggravated scalp and treats issues such as dandruff.
- Raw garlic is highly enriched with Vitamin C, which is great for the health of your hair. It boosts collagen production which helps with hair growth.
Garlic Juice and Coconut Oil to Fight Hair Loss
Another healthy hair salve can be made by mixing equal parts of garlic juice and coconut oil.
Extract the juice from a small head of garlic using the method described above and mix the juice with a tablespoon of coconut oil (slightly warm the coconut oil by placing it in a bowl filled with warm water).
Then massage the mixture into the scalp and hair and leave it on for 60 minutes before rinsing it out. This should be done twice daily as per the above research.
Garlic Oil for Hair
Note: Garlic oil is different from garlic essential oil! So don’t confuse between the two. Garlic essential oil is extremely powerful and can cause extreme skin irritation if used as a hair salve and if not properly diluted. Please use garlic-infused oil and NOT garlic essential oil when treating your scalp.
Garlic-infused oil can be used as a growth-promoting hair salve. Apply one tablespoon of garlic oil to your scalp and massage thoroughly, leave it on for 20 minutes or more and then rinse the oil out. This can be done two to three times per week or more often if you want.